Dry eyes can be irritating and may continue for a long time. The problem is more prevalent among women and it often becomes worse with age. Treatment is available from dry eye doctors who can evaluate the problem and provide you with expert help and tips.
Symptoms of Dry Eyes
Most people know when their eyes feel dry, but they may not realize that it could be a chronic condition. You may often experience dry eyes under certain conditions that you have grown accustomed to such as being in an air-conditioned room, while riding in a car with the windows down, or after looking at a computer screen for hours at a time.
There are several symptoms you may experience with dry eyes. They may include:
- A stinging or burning sensation in your eyes
- Redness of eyes
- Feeling like something may be in your eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Watery eyes
- Blurred vision
- Eye fatigue.
Common Causes of Dry Eyes
There can be several reasons why someone may get dry eye. They include:
- Some medications which include antihistamines, antidepressants, high blood pressure drugs, decongestants, and more.
- Several medical conditions, including Sjogren’s syndrome, diabetes, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, disorders of the thyroid, and a deficiency of vitamin A.
- Damage to your tear duct glands from radiation or inflammation.
- Laser surgery on the eye – usually only a temporary problem.
- Aging often adds to increased dry eyes.
- Exposure to various environmental conditions which may include a dry climate, smoke, or wind. Not blinking enough can also cause it, as may occur when you are looking at a computer screen for hours.
- Women are more likely to experience it because of hormonal changes when pregnant, using birth control, or when going through menopause. Women are apt to experience this problem than men in a ratio of 2 to 1.
Getting an Evaluation
The dry eye doctors at Optical Warehouse Outlet NY can help you by diagnosing the cause of your dry eyes. They have high tech equipment for this purpose and want to help you get the relief you need. They are also well-trained and can help discover and remedy the problem.
The Normal Tear
A normal teardrop has three parts to it. It is made up of an oily component, a watery component, and one of mucin. This mixture, when it is correctly balanced, prevents the moisture on your eyes from drying out too quickly, moisturizes your eyes, and it also causes it to spread evenly over your eyes. A problem with one or more of the specialized glands can cause problems.
Treatment for Dry Eye
After you get a correct diagnosis of your condition, the doctors at Optical Warehouse Outlet NY can also provide you with the treatment you need. They can prescribe the needed medication and provide it through the in-store pharmacy, and provide treatment and follow-up at the store.
The dry eye doctors at Optical Warehouse Outlet NY can provide you with an accurate diagnosis and treat you, too. They are friendly and care for their patients. All eye care needs in the way of prescription glasses, sunglasses, and contact lenses are also available, with many choices from brand and luxury names. Call today to set up an appointment for dry eye care.